Name: Larry Weekly
School: Grambling State University
Commissioner Lawrence Weekly is a native Nevadan who grew up in Las Vegas and has dedicated his professional life to serving the public through his involvement in many organizations, as a City Councilman for more than seven years and now as a County Commissioner.
Weekly was born in Reno, the youngest of four children raised by a single mother who moved her family to Las Vegas when the future commissioner was four years old.
He grew up in West Las Vegas and graduated from Western High School in 1982. Weekly then took classes at Clark County Community College (now called the College of Southern Nevada) and then enrolled at Grambling State University in Louisiana, where he earned a Bachelor’s Degree in communication in 1987.
Weekly returned to Las Vegas after college to pursue careers in radio broadcasting and education, but soon found his way to public service.
In 1995, he joined the City of Las Vegas’ Neighborhood Services Department as a management analyst. There he was responsible for neighborhood outreach efforts and large community cleanups.
Then in 1998, he went to work as community liaison for City Councilman Gary Reese. Weekly held that position until Dec. 31, 1999, when he was appointed to the City Council to represent the city’s newly created Ward 5.
He served on the council until the governor appointed him to the County Commission.
Weekly was sworn into office on March 6, 2007 and chosen to represent the county as a member of the Southern Nevada Health District Board. He was also selected to serve on the county’s Debt Management Commission.
As a Clark County commissioner, Lawrence also serves on the following boards:
Las Vegas Convention and Visitor's Authority
Las Vegas Valley Water District
University Medical Center
Southern Nevada Health District
Clark County Water Reclamation District
Clark County Redevelopment Agency
Liquor & Gaming Licensing
National Association of Counties (NACo)
Southern Nevada Workforce Investment
Additional boards, committees and groups the commissioner has been involved with include:
- Nevada Commission on Aging
- Las Vegas Audit/Oversight Committee
- National League of Cities Community & Economic Development Committee
- Nevada League of Cities - Youth Advisory Council
- Southern Nevada Regional Planning Coalition
- Southern Nevada Gang Task Force
- Local Law Enforcement Advisory Commission
- “Power to End Stroke” committee
- Camp Brotherhood Youth Camp (co-founder)
- Kappa Leadership League (founder of local chapter)
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
- Southern Nevada Workforce Investment Board
- United States Tennis Association (USTA)
- Southern Nevada Health Board
- Clark County Debt Management Commission
- Advisor - Clark County School District Partnership Program