Kappa League is one of the five components of the Guide Right program. The Guide Right Program is the national service program of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. Kappa League is an organization oriented toward helping young men to grow and develop their leadership talents in every phase of human endeavor. It provides both challenging and rewarding experience, which richly enhance their lives. Since the fundamental purpose of Kappa Alpha Psi is ACHIEVEMENT, it is therefore the Fraternity’s primary purpose to help these young men to achieve worthy goals for themselves and to make constructive contributions to their community when leadership roles become their responsibility.
Guide Right is a program of the educational and occupational guidance of youth, primarily inspirational and informational in character. It extends to high school and college alike.
Mr. Leon Steward is known as the “Father of the Guide Right Movement” and since 1992, the purpose of the Guide Right service program has been to place the training, experience, and friendly interest of successful men at the disposal of youth needing inspiration and counsel regarding the choice of a life’s career, and to arouse the interest of the entire community in the problems of youth as they seek to realize lives of usefulness. The basic objectives of Guide Right are summarized as follow:
- To help youth, especially those of high school age, in their selection of courses leading to vocations compatible with their aptitude and personalities.
- To assist students, while they are in training, to get started in employment and to progress successfully in their chosen fields
- To assist parents in the handling of their children by giving them opportunity to talk over their problems with those who know and are successful in their chosen vocations.
- To afford youth a respite from the drudgery of the street, through sponsored entertainment, and an enriched culture.
- To inform youth of the values of higher education, of assistance available for continued educational pursuits, scholarship, loan, professional counseling and fellowship, various occupational and professional opportunities, current labor market, and requirements for obtaining employment.
Guide Right is a year-round program. The Las Vegas Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity has implemented its Guide Right program with the Kappa League. It embodies all aspects of the National Program with specific emphasis on leadership development and self-motivation for career achievement.
The Kappa League is an organization oriented toward helping students in grades 9-12 to develop their talents and potential in every field of human endeavor. It provides both challenging and rewarding experiences though oriented activities. The members are exposed to planning, executing and reporting ideas, and simulating good leadership characteristics designed to raise their aspiration level.
The History of the
Mr. Mel Davis founded the Kappa Leadership League, under the guidance of the Los Angeles, CA Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., in 1969. The Kappa League stresses academic achievement, community service, college & career preparation, the enlistment of young men, and the total respect for young women.
The History of the
LAS VEGAS ELITE CHAPTER
The Las Vegas Kappa Leadership League, the “ELITE CHAPTER” was founded in the fall of 1989 by Lawrence Weekly, Sean Woodell, and Michael Garrett. These three gentlemen, of KAPPA ALPHA PSI, formed the concepts and ideas, of what caliber of young men would best represent the name of KAPPA.
Our mission is simple:
To help a boy become a man
The goals of the LVA Kappa League program are:
(1) To provide positive rolemodeling and successful black male images
(2) To improve academic achievement and good study habits
(3) To promote character and cultural development
(4) To promote strong integrity and worthwhile talents